- Blog Posts by me
- Selected Design Matters Podcasts
- Youtube Playlists Curated by me
- TED Curated Video Talks
- Films and Documentaries
Blog Posts by me
- Lecture: Design and Society by Alice Rawsthorn
- Lecture: Education and You
- Lecture: Mark Marking, Storytelling and Ideology
- Youtube Playlist: Design
- YouTube Playlist: Really Interesting Videos (long ones)
- YouTube Playlist: Really Interesting Videos (short ones)
Selected Design Matters Podcasts
- Milton Glaser Podcast Interview
- Steven Heller – “On this episode of Design Matters, Debbie Millman talks with Steven Heller about his new book 100 Classic Graphic Design Journals, about graphic design before it was called graphic design and about whether design magazines have a future in print.”
- Steven Heller – “In this podcast, Steven and Debbie discuss how design is both a cult and culture, the dirty decade, the death of a trend and what designers have in common with Harvey Weinstien.”
Youtube Playlists Curated by me
TED Curated Video Talks
- Design Giants – From graphics to products, check out these talks by some of the world’s greatest designers.
- Design of Useful Things – Quirky, fascinating talks about the design of practical things we all need, whether we know it or not.
- Craftsmanship – What feels so good about getting your hands dirty and making something? The following talks speak to the art of craft.
- The Artist Is In – Why create? Artists and designers share their work, their process and their vision in these deeply personal — and often hilarious — talks.
- Objects of Desire – An iconic painting. An ancient manuscript. A cylinder with 2600 years of history. Learn about artifacts and images that have intrigued humans for centuries, and why we find them so alluring.
- The Power of Film – Few things are as magical as sitting back in a theater with a hushed crowd to enjoy a film, but what you see on the screen isn’t everything. Hear from visionaries — from Hollywood, Bollywood, Nollywood — on how to make movies.
- Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA) – the national organisation for professional graphic designers
- Co.Design – business + innovation + design
- Design Observer
- Design Taxi
- Desktop – The Culture of Design
- Lost At E Minor (Design category)
- Design and Thinking*
- Gary Hustwit Design trilogy
- Milton Glaser: To Inform & Delight*
- Between the folds: a film about finding inspiration in unexpected places*
- Citizen Architect: Samuel Mockbee and the Spirit of the Rural Studio
- Why Man Creates by Saul Bass (video link)
- IDEO – Deep Dive
- Beautiful Losers
- Art & Copy
- Eames: The Architect And The Painter
- Exit Through The Gift Shop
- Bauhaus: The Face of the 20th Century
- Sign Painter
- The Cool School
- Antwerp Central
- Unfinished Spaces
- Status Anxiety
- By Design – ABC radio program looks at the places and things we imagine, build, use and occupy, explaining how creative ideas take tangible form through the design process.
- 99% Invisible – a tiny radio show about design, architecture & the 99% invisible activity that shapes our world.
- Design Matters with Debbie Millman – a thought-provoking internet podcast, which profiles industry-leading graphic designers, change agents, artists, writers and educators.
- Let’s Make Mistakes
- Writing and research for graphic designers : a designer’s manual to strategic communication and presentation by Steven Heller (RMIT)
- 100 ideas that changed graphic design bySteven Heller & Véronique Vienne (RMIT)
- I heart design : remarkable graphic design selected by designers, illustrators, and critics by Steven Heller
- Stop, think, go, do : how typography & graphic design influence behavior by Steven Heller & Mirko Ilić
- Pop how graphic design shapes popular culture by Steven Heller (ebook)(RMIT)
- Graphic Design Reader by Steven Heller (ebook)(RMIT)
- Becoming a graphic designer : a guide to careers in design by Steven Heller & Teresa Fernandes (RMIT)
- Graphic style : from Victorian to new century by Steven Heller & Seymour Chwast (RMIT)
- Graphic design thinking : beyond brainstorming by Ellen Lupton (RMIT)
- Thinking with type : a critical guide for designers, writers, editors, & students by Ellen Lupton (RMIT)
- Design your life : the pleasures and perils of everyday things by Ellen Lupton ;Julia Reinhard Lupton (RMIT)
- Graphic design : the new basics by Ellen Lupton ;Jennifer C. Phillips (RMIT)
- The story of design by Peter Fiell (RMIT)
- The story of graphic design : from the invention of writing to the birth of digital designby Patrick Cramsie (RMIT)
- Design school wisdom : make first, stay awake, and other essential lessons for work and life by Brooke Johnson (RMIT)
- Writing design : words and objects by Grace Lees-Maffei (ebook)(RMIT)
Please suggest resources and I will add them to the lists above. Thanks.
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]